Translation Question

Hebrew Discussion Forum: Hebrew Language/Translation/Grammar Questions: Translation Question

By
Jane on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 06:57 pm:

What does "sey yofeh yaldah" mean? and also "Todah Rabah"? I am not sure of spelling. Thanks for the help!
jane

By mwilson on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 12:57 pm:

Hi Jane,

I'm a student and not an expert in Hebrew, but if the first word is "Zeh" instead of "sey" it means "this" or "This is". The second word "yofeh", if it is "yofi"---it would correspond to our expression "great" or "beautiful". If it is "yafeh or yafah" it means "nice or pretty". The word "yaldah" means "girl". The way the words are placed in the expression, it looks like it would correspond to our expression: "That's great, girl!" or "That's beautiful, girl!"

"Todah Rabah" means "Thank you very much."

Maybe a teacher will come on and give you an expert opinion, but since I saw your request, I thought I'd attempt to answer you.

Mazel tov b'evrit (Good luck with Hebrew)!

By Neal Walters admin (Admin) on Friday, August 4, 2000 - 01:19 am:

I think I agree with "mwilson".

Context always helps. If a boy says it, pointing at a girl, then it might mean something entirely different? Also, did the person who said it know good Hebrew? Or were they a beginner trying to make a simple phrase???

So, in your sentence, YOFEH seems to be masculine,
referring to something other than the girl!

"the beauitful girl" would be "ha-yaldah ha-yafah",
and "a beautiful girl" would be "yaldah yafah".
"Beautiful is the girl" would be "Yafah ha-yaldah".

"YOFI" is also an expression, like "Neato", "Cool", or "groovy".

Neal